February 19: President’s Day break – No School (Preschool-8th)
February 28: All School Chapel 9:00
- Parent Teacher Conferences: Spring conferences are quickly approaching. This year ZCS has decided that conferences are optional, which is different from the past. If you would like to sit down face to face to celebrate your child please sign up for a 15 minute time slot. (I sent an email a week or so ago with instructions to sign up for a conference beginning February 21.) If you choose to have a conference, during this time I will share celebrations about your child’s spiritual, emotional, and academic growth. If you receive a personal email from me, that simply means I’d like you to sign up for a conference. This doesn’t mean I am necessarily concerned, but that I feel face to face time would be good. If you do not receive an email, you may choose if you’d like to sign up. Please know that if you don’t sign up I won’t be sending home any updated assessment information. If you will be requesting a conference, please let me know by February 21 so that I can begin preparing for our time together. You have until February 28 to sign up for a time slot, but that date doesn’t give me much time to prep for our conference. Thanks for your help!
- Snow Clothes: I think we’re approaching spring?! With that comes some funky weather. Please do make sure that your students have their snow pants. Our playground stays wet and muddy long after much of the snow has melted. Boots are a great idea too. Thank you!
- email@example.com: Sickness has been creeping into our classroom! If your child will not be at school for a planned or unplanned absence, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let the office know in addition to letting me know. You can forward the same email to me… whatever is easier. 🙂 If you will be gone for several days, you only need to send 1 email with all of the days you plan to be gone. Thank you!
- Spanish Immersion Camp: Signup is open. Please help us to spread the word for our Spanish Summer Camp. Family, relatives and neighbors are welcome to come to me immersed in awesome games, familiar stories, new songs, and exciting crafts that are all taught COMPLETELY in the Spanish language. If you have any questions please contact Mari at email@example.com. Here is the link for you to sign up zcs-expanded-summer-2018
Bible: We finished our unit on Jesus’ ministry with the story of the Samaritan Woman.
February Bible Verse: Pidan, y se les dará; busquen, y encontrarán; llamen, y se les abrirá. Mateo 7:7
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Matthew 7:7
Literacy: We spent some time reviewing nouns and verbs as well as many of the letters we have studied so far this year. We practiced these concepts in writing workshop, exploring God’s world, our Valentine’s Day and 100th day celebrations and daily 5.
In case you missed it last time, RazKids is an app we’ve been using often in our classroom. It’s also something you can use to practice reading, in Spanish or in English, with your child at home.
Kids A-Z Login Instructions:
- Step 1: Go to www.kidsa-z.com
- Step 2: Enter or choose my username, mizenbaard
- Step 3: Your child finds his or her username on the class chart.
- Step 4: Your child enters his or her password (Touch the airplane.)
Math: In math we talked about how to show numbers using groups of 5 and “extras.” We are focusing on numbers 6-10 right now.
Writing Workshop: Kindergarteners “fixed and fancied” their favorite pattern book. We look forward to celebrating this coming Tuesday!
Exploring God’s World: We finished our unit on motion by looking for real life examples of when we use push, pull, and gravity.
Up in Lights: Brayden was up in lights this week! He shared his passion for legos and his favorite taste, chocolate chip cookies. We love you, Brayden! You are one amazing kid!