Number the stars Chapter 4
1) After what book did Anne Marie and Ellen name their dolls after?
A: They named their dolls after the girls in Gone with the wind.
3) What were the Tivoli Gardens?
A: They were pretty places where there were fireworks and other fun things.
4) Why was Ellen’s new year different than the Johansens’?
A: Her New Year is different because she is Jewish so the Jewish New Year is before the regular people.
5) Why did Ellen come to stay with the Johansens?
A: She came to stay with them because her parents had to go hide from the German soldiers because they were looking for all of the Jewish people.
6) Where did papa propose to hide Ellen?
A: He said that they would act like Ellen is Lissie, Anne Marie’s and Kirsti’s older sister… Who died two years earlier.
1) Why did Kirsti remember remember the “fireworks”? Was it right for Mama to lie to her?
A: She remembered them because it happened on her birthday, and she was too young to understand what was going on.
2) How did Papa respond to the news that King Christian had blown up the Navy? What does that say about King Christian’s character? About the qualities Papa admires?
A: He was in full approval, It says that he does what’s needed, and that Papa admires people who have courage.
3) When do you think children are old enough to be told serious things? What determines if someone is old or mature enough to hear the difficult truth?
A: I think they can be any age but just has to me mature enough, I think that if they have courage, and are wise enough than they can.
4) What did “relocation” really mean for the Jews? If the Germans knew what was going to happen, why do you think they used the term “relocate” instead?
A: It meant that they would put them in concentration camps and they would never go home again, They used “relocation” because if the Jews knew where they were going… they would escape.